So I was looking for some Winter Activites for my 1st graders and came upon another WordPress Teacher’s Blog… Compton Coaches! When you have a chance please stop by this blog of WONDERFUL teacher resouces. 🙂
Click on the links below to find great Seasonal Activities to do with your students!
From Laura Candler
For directions to these activities, download the 21-page November Activities Mini Pack. Preview the entire packet online and learn how to get your copy!
- Thankful Writing
- New! Thankful Writing Revision Checklist
- New! Pumpkin Pie Fraction Mix Up (Comparing Fractions)
- Thanksgiving Word Game
- History Hero Character Analysis
- Thanksgiving Dictionary Word Sort
- Honoring Veterans
- Thanksgiving Math Word Problems
- Mystery Vocabulary (for ‘Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving)
- Pilgrim Problems (Easy Word Problems)
- Thanksgiving Venn
- Pilgrim Fact or Fiction
- Thanksgiving Daily Math Puzzler Activity
- New! Boxes of Hope and Inspiration Project
- Holiday Giving Project Sample Letter
- Happy Holidays Book Coupon
(Use if you have lots of Scholastic bonus points in your point bank!)
- Christmas Daily Math Puzzler #1 (Grades 2 – 3)
- Christmas Daily Math Puzzler #2 (Grades 3 – 4) If you like these Daily Math Puzzler activities, click the link at the top to learn more about the Daily Math Puzzler program.
- Christmas Around the World Research Project
Christmas Around the World Questions
- Variation: Holidays Around the World Project
Variation: Holidays Around the World Questions
- Christmas Word Game
- Crazy Christmas Stories
- Sugar Cone Christmas Tree Recipe
- Happy Holidays Homework Pass
- Holiday Mug Exchange Sample Letter
- Parent Request for Holiday Materials Letter
- “Resolutions to Ring in the New Year” Bell Pattern for Bulletin Board Activity
- New Year Reflections Teambuilding Spinner
- Goals for 2010 Writing Prompt
- Highlights of 2009 & Visions of 2010
- Highlights of 2009 & Visions of 2010 (Lines)
- Happy New Year Homework Pass
- New Year’s Day Word Challenge
February and Winter Activities
- Valentine Candy Fraction Activities
- Valentine Math Puzzlers If you like this activity page, click the link at the top to learn more about the Daily Math Puzzler program.
- Valentine Hearts Investigation Teacher Directions
- Valentine Hearts Student Activity Page
- Valentine Hearts Class Data Chart
- Valentine Hearts Smartboard Investigation*
- Valentine Hearts Investigation PDF file
- Valentine Investigation Example*
(Take a peek at the Smartboard results of my 4th grade class’s investigation. If you can’t open the Notebook file, check out the PDF version.)
- Valentine’s Day Read N Roll
- Valentine’s Day Word Challenge
- Heart Patterns (2 sizes)
- Friendship Cinquain Activity (Note: Use the Character Traits list with step 2)
- Winter Word Sort – Dictionary Skills
- Leprechaun Luck Probability Game (adapted from “Seeds of Chance” in Math Stations for Middle Grades)
- St. Pat’s Day Math Puzzlers (Level B/C)
(see Daily Math Puzzlers for how to use)
- St. Pat’s Day Math Puzzlers (Level A – Primary Grades)
- Lucky as a Leprechaun Teambuilder Activity
- St. Patrick’s Day Read and Roll* (Smartboard file – right click and save)
- St. Patrick’s Day Read and Roll (PDF)
- St. Patrick’s Day Word Challenge
- Pi Day: Circle Explorations
- Pi Day: Sir Cumference and the First Round Table Graphic Organizer (Updated 3/15/2010)
- Dr. Seuss Reading Marathon
- Dr. Seuss Story Hat Map
- Cat in the Hat Hat Pattern
- Celebrate Seuss Word Play
- Dr. Seuss Venn Diagram Book Comparison
- Dr. Seuss Venn Diagram Pattern
- Mother’s Day Coupons
- Poetry Page on Teaching Resources (April is Poetry Month)
- The Lorax Discussion Questions (Earth Day)
Note: Use with Talking Sticks strategy
- The Story of Stuff website (Earth Day)
- The Story of Stuff Lesson and Chart
- Edible Earth Rounds (Earth Day)
- Spring Dictionary Word Sort
- Spring Daily Math Puzzlers (Level B-C Customary Measurement) Note: If you like these Spring Puzzlers, check out the Daily Math Puzzler program.
- Spring Daily Math Puzzlers (Level B-C Metric Measurement)
- Spring Primary Puzzlers (Level A)
- Egg-cellent Vocabulary
(Vocabulary from the book Bently & Egg)
- Jelly Bean Egg Challenge
- Springtime Word Game
End of the School Year
- Gotta Read It Book Award Nomination Form
- Classroom Award Ideas
- Classroom Award Certificate
- Classroom Award Nomination Form
- Welcome/Advice Letters
- Buddy Test Prep Directions
- School Year Reflections
- Class Scrapbook Directions
- Classroom Scrabble Tournament Information
- Implementing Math Centers
- Reading Test Prep: How Krispy Kremes Work
- Back-to-School Activities
- Back-to-School Activities: include glyphs, math-literature connection, problem solving and daily math routines.
- September 2007: Back-to-School Issue includes writing in Math class, active participation, using math templates.
- August 2006: Back-to-School Issue includes active participation strategies, morning math activities, math games, math Who Has? games, Fall math activities, virtual manipulatives link.
- Fall Math Activities
- Fall 2005 Math Activities: include Measurement Man, pumpkin activities, symmetric faces, coordinate graphing, samples of student work, literature connections and problem solving,
- Fall 2006 Math Activities: include fall math activities, spider games, bat math, fall glyphs, fall coordinate graphing activities, fall problem solving and additional fall math activities
- Fall 2007 Math Activities: include spider math, bat math, math-literature connections, problem solving, coordinate graphing games and activities and fall glyphs.
- Winter Math Activities
- Winter 2005 Math Activities: include Koch Snowflake, Penguin Math, Snowflake Activities, Snowman Problem Solving, Literature Connections, Winter Glyphs, Winter Data Collection, Gingerbread Activities, Winter Coordinate Graphing, Holiday Problem Solving, and samples of student work.
- Winter 2006 Math Activities: include penguin math, winter coordinate graphing activities, snowflake activities, literature connections, winter glyphs, winter problem solving and links to additional online activities
- Winter 2007 Math Activities: include Winter Geometry, Pattern Block Snowflakes, Snowman Math, Penguin Math, Gingerbread Math, Winter glyphs, Winter Coordinate Graphing Activities, Winter Problem Solving, Winter Math-Literature Connections, and Links to Winter Math Activities on the web.
- February 2006 Math Activities, updated for 2007, include Freedom Quilts, Valentine’s Day, Presidents’ Day, Winter Olympics
- Valentine’s Day 2008 Math Activities include Valentine Probability, Valentine Discrete Math, Valentine Quilts, and Valentine Symmetric Faces.
- 100th Day of School Activities
- 100th Day Activities includes suggestions and links to help plan this important mathematical day.
- Math-Literature Connections: 100th Day of School lists books about 100 that may be used as part of the 100th Day celebrations. Activities for these books are currently under development so check back for additions.
- Earth Day Activities
- Earth Day Activities includes suggestions and links to help teachers include math activities on this important day.
Again, thank you to Compton Coaches for sharing the wealth of information!
– Betty Buckley